help a company or cause stand out from the crowd.
explore your options — classes, internships, research and study abroad. find what interests you, discover what you love, and create a major experience that jumpstarts your future.
with a degree in marketing, you’ll learn the fundamentals of promoting a message or product — and you’ll get an edge by focusing on the industry’s shift to digital.
get a solid foundation in business principles and take courses that focus on marketing research and analytics, e-commerce and social media marketing. your courses will teach you the practical skills employers are looking for: content creation, conversion rate optimization, social media marketing and data analysis. these skills translate directly to the requirements of marketing jobs — you’ll even take on projects like creating a social media marketing plan for a real-life client, and creating and implementing a marketing plan for a company or nonprofit.
your professors will be experienced, industry-recognized marketers who will help you connect with internships and employers in austin, a booming economy with a thriving tech scene. and you’ll have the chance to earn certifications in employer-preferred marketing technologies like hootsuite, hubspot inbound, google ads, google analytics, marketo and salesforce. when you graduate, you’ll have the practical experience to help any organization share its message and measure its impact.
what do our graduates do?
marketing majors go on to a variety of careers and graduate schools from st. edward’s. here’s a sample.
- junior project manager at dell
- digital marketing specialist at adlucent, a digital marketing agency in austin
- marketing specialist for ebq, an outsourced sales and marketing organization in austin
- promotions coordinator for toyota music company
- director of product management at blucora
- account manager specialist for gartner
all students at st. edward’s university are able to enroll in the digital marketing minor, which focuses on digital certifications and marketing metrics.
alumni on the rise
marketing major jorge almeida ’10 is using the skills he learned in marketing and international business on the hilltop to excel as a senior brand manager.
the classroom and beyond
as a marketing major, you’ll take courses full of practical skills that employers look for when they hire. you’ll also have plenty of opportunities outside the classroom to learn from experts, network, and gain practical experience in internships.
your classes will teach you marketing theory and best practices – and then you’ll use what you’ve learned, in projects like these:
- in principles of marketing, students do a marketing simulation as an experiential learning assignment.
- in marketing research, you’ll work with an austin nonprofit as your client for a real-world research project.
- in buyer behavior, you’ll gather your own data for a conjoint analysis and do a market segmentation project using cluster analysis.
- in social media marketing, you’ll create a social media marketing plan for a real-life client and become certified in a social media management tool.
- in marketing metrics, you’ll get certified in google analytics.
other classes will offer the opportunity to get certified in technologies like hootsuite, hubspot inbound, google ads, marketo and salesforce.
in associate professor of marketing monica hernandez’s class, students earn industry certifications in seo and digital advertising measurement and gain real-life experience by participating in a global marketing competition that pairs students with nonprofit organizations.
outside the classroom, you’ll get to learn from experts in the field at lectures on campus and meetups off campus. you’ll build relationships with your fellow students by developing your professional skills and having adventures together in austin.
the distinguished marketer speaker series brings a prominent marketing professional to campus each semester to share insights about current topics like digital media, design principles, brand development and social media crisis management.
the hilltop american marketing association hosts experts who keep students up to date about marketing challenges, ethics in the profession, and jobs in the field. hilltop ama has offered a resume workshop and professional headshots and cohosted a mixer at a downtown austin marketing communications firm. members met up with the austin ama chapter at its early-morning coffee chats. students also attend social events like indoor rock climbing, a night at a vintage arcade, and a craft party to make valentines for residents at a senior care center.
many student clubs and organizations have a marketing officer, a communication coordinator or a social media manager. this is another chance to exercise your marketing skills outside the classroom.
major requirements: the bba in marketing requires 63 hours of major coursework.
general education requirements: all majors require 44 hours of general education that students complete over the course of four years, in addition to their major courses.
a few examples of the marketing courses students take:
- advanced marketing management – gain experience creating and executing effective marketing plans – with a variety of marketing channels – for either non-profit or for-profit organizations.
- digital marketing and analytics – learn a framework for managing and analyzing an organization’s online presence and interacting with customers for marketing purposes.
- social media marketing – create a social media marketing plan for a real-life client, and become certified in a social media management tool.
the marketing and entrepreneurship department works diligently to keep marketing education relevant in the digital age.
our faculty and student support services
marketing faculty members bring years of direct experience in both small and large organizations, including Motorola, Compaq, Dell, Dun & Bradstreet, Verizon Telecommunications, Mitel Networks, Cornerstone OnDemand and General Motors, to the classroom.
faculty are involved with professional organizations, publications and local businesses. many are highly skilled in digital marketing, marketing metrics and statistical techniques.
"our department focuses on making it possible for graduates to enter the workforce able to understand and use the latest digital marketing technologies to create firm growth. this proficiency, along with a solid background in all business disciplines, gives students the ability to create new ventures and to help any firm market its products in the most effective and up-to-date manner."
– debra zahay-blatz, chair of the marketing and entrepreneurship department
digital marketing minor
any student at st. edward’s university may minor in digital marketing. the minor prepares students for a variety of marketing and technical roles in the 21st century business ecosystem.
- mktg 2301 – principles of marketing
- busi 2305 – business statistics
- mktg 3343 – marketing research
- mktg 4342 – digital marketing and analytics
- mktg 4344 – marketing metrics and analytics
- mktg 3335 – social media marketing
electives (choose 1):
- mktg 3332 – sales and relationship management
- mktg 3333 – principles of retailing and ecommerce
- mktg 3336 – buyer behavior
- comm 2305 – visual communication
- comm 2359 – video production and editing
- engw 2329 – document design
- jour 2314 – interactive media production and design (photoshop)
- bdmm 3344 – interactive technology i
- bdmm 4330 – digital media and the law
total hours: 21
are you a current student? contact your advisor for next steps on declaring your major or minor.
you’ll get hands-on experience with marketing by interning in a professional environment. our students have recently interned at the following organizations:
- found media group, an austin marketing and advertising agency
- the social media department of costco wholesale corporation’s corporate office
- reality based group, a company specializing in the customer experience management space
- scalefactor, and austin-based business financial software company
- texas association of realtors
- disney college program at walt disney world in orlando
- south by southwest music festival planning department
each summer, st. edward’s students attend the competitive marketing edge collegiate summit in new york city, where they connect with leaders in the digital marketing industry. the learn how major brands use digital strategies and sharpen their job-search skills.
the office of career and professional development also coordinates workshops that feature local marketing, advertising and communication professionals. students have networked at these events and made connections that led to them being hired full time.